Finger is Bessie's imaginary friend, a face drawn on her left-hand index finger. She often talks to Finger and pretends to listen to him giving advice to her. He had an evil cousin named Finguere and is friends with Digit, Ronnie's right index finger.
Every morning Bessie draws a smiley face on her finger, and before going to sleep creates a sleepy expression. Finger's expression changes with the mood of the plot, for example he might have a frown if Bessie is sad.
Whenever Bessie needs some worldly advice, she seeks Finger's perspective of the matter, such as convincing her to make up for Penny's botched birthday party in "An I See Bee" and agreeing with Ben in "Beenedict Arnold" that Bessie can be "a little bossy."
Bessie often restates Finger's imaginary question for others to understand what he is saying. Finger may seem like a figment of Bessie's imagination, but sometimes, it seems as if he has a mind of his own. At bedtime, Bessie even has a pillow for Finger.
Finger plays a prominent role in two episodes. In the first, "Doppelfinger," he gets injured and Bessie starts relying on Finger's French cousin Finguere (in actuality, Bessie's right index finger), who makes fun of Finger and proves to be a bad influence on Bessie. With Finger's help, she "drowns" Finguere and everything returns to normal.
The second one, "Finger Pickin' Bad," has Finger form a close friendship with Ronnie's right index finger, Digit, but due to Bessie and Ronnie not being fond of each other the two go their separate ways, to the sadness of Finger and Digit. In the end, Bessie and Ronnie agree to meet for the sake of their fingers. Bessie and Ronnie form a bond for the first time, only for Finger and Digit to start fighting each other.
Finger is Bessie's left index finger. Thus, he has her light skin. Bessie uses a blue marker to draw his two eyes and smile.
- Main article: Finger/Appearances
- Main article: Finger/Gallery
- Bessie does hand calisthenics with Finger every morning at 6 AM ("We Got the Bee").
- Bessie considers Finger to be her "closest friend and adviser," per "Doppelfinger."
- As Bessie's finger, he technically appears in every episode of the series; however, a face is not always visibly drawn.
- Revealed to be an expert safe cracker in "Higgenbottom's 7."
- Bessie claims in "Finger Pickin' Bad" that she and Finger enjoy picking four leaf clovers together.
- In the aforementioned episode, it is revealed Finger views thumbs as "too small" for him and dislikes toes because they smell.
- Moody, Annemarie (September 17, 2008). Nickelodeon Picks Up Two New Series, Renews Mighty B. Animation World Network. Retrieved May 17, 2020.
- Television: Optimistic ‘Mighty B!’ revels in joys of childhood. April 30, 2008. The Mercury News. Retrieved May 17, 2020.
- Gold, Matea (April 25, 2008). Early shift for Amy Poehler. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 2, 2020.
- Bessie and other characters use he/him pronouns when referring to Finger, with the Nicktoons website following suit.
- Crupi, Anthony (March 20, 2008). Kids keep buyers bullish. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 17, 2020.
- Larsen, Peter (April 24, 2008). Amy Poehler unleashes her inner scout in a new cartoon. The Orange County Register. Retrieved May 17, 2020.
- Perlmutter, David (March 13, 2014). America Toons In: A History of Television Animation. Page 328. McFarland & Company. International standard book number 9781476614885.
- Cutler, Jacqueline (April 25, 2008). Cartoonprofile: Bessie Higgenbottom. The Elizabethton Star. Page 25. Retrieved July 8, 2020. Quote: "Closest friend: Finger, Bessie's left index finger, upon which she draws a happy face every morning"
- Finger's profile on Nicktoons.com, archived via the Wayback Machine